Halo, para pencari kerja dan pelajar bahasa Inggris! Welcome back to "Belajar Bahasa Inggris". Pada Lesson 12 ini, kita akan membahas topik yang sangat penting untuk karier Anda: Application for Employment (Lamaran Pekerjaan). Kita akan mempelajari bagian-bagiannya, kosakata penting, serta ungkapan-ungkapan yang berguna.
Part 1: Application for Employment (Lamaran Pekerjaan)
🎯 Learning Objectives
After completing this lesson, students will be able to:
- Understand
the purpose of employment application documents.
- Identify
the structure and components of a Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume.
- Write a
professional CV using appropriate English.
- Understand
the structure and language used in a Cover Letter.
- Write
an effective Cover Letter for a job application.
- Use
formal English expressions commonly found in job application documents.
- Prepare
professional employment documents for academic and workplace purposes.
Introduction
Applying for a job is one of the most important stages
in building a professional career. Before a company invites an applicant for an
interview, the employer usually evaluates the applicant's documents. Therefore,
preparing clear, accurate, and professional application documents is essential.
In an international or multinational company, these
documents are commonly written in English. Even many Indonesian companies now
require applicants to submit an English CV and Cover Letter, especially for
positions related to education, business, tourism, information technology,
engineering, and international cooperation.
The two most important documents in a job application
are:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) or Resume
- Cover Letter
Although these documents are submitted together, they
have different purposes. A CV presents factual information about the
applicant's education, work experience, and skills, while a Cover Letter
explains why the applicant is interested in the position and why they are a
suitable candidate.
Understanding the differences between these documents
will help students prepare stronger job applications.
A. Curriculum Vitae (CV) / Resume
What is a Curriculum Vitae?
A Curriculum Vitae (CV) is a document
that summarizes a person's educational background, work experience,
achievements, organizational activities, certifications, and skills.
In some countries, the terms CV and Resume
have different meanings.
- CV (Curriculum Vitae) is
generally more detailed and may include academic achievements,
publications, research, and certifications.
- Resume is shorter, usually
one or two pages, and highlights qualifications relevant to a specific
job.
In Indonesia, however, the terms CV and
Resume are often used interchangeably.
The main purpose of a CV is to introduce the applicant
professionally and convince employers that they possess the qualifications
required for the position.
Main Components of a CV
1. Personal Details
This section contains basic personal information.
Typical information includes:
- Full
Name
- Address
- Phone
Number
- Email
Address
- LinkedIn
Profile (optional)
- Portfolio
Website (optional)
Example
Name: Ahmad Fauzan
Address: Jl. Melati No. 10, Makassar,
Indonesia
Phone: +62 812-3456-7890
Email: ahmadfauzan@email.com
LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/ahmadfauzan
Tips
✔ Use a professional email address.
✔ Avoid informal email names such as:
Instead, use:
2. Professional Summary / Career Objective
A Professional Summary is a brief paragraph introducing
yourself, your strengths, and your career goals.
It usually consists of 2–4 sentences.
Example 1
A motivated and detail-oriented English Education
graduate with excellent communication skills and classroom teaching experience.
Passionate about helping students improve their English proficiency through
creative and student-centered learning methods.
Example 2
A highly motivated Computer Science graduate with
experience in software development and database management. Seeking an
opportunity to contribute technical skills and problem-solving abilities in a
dynamic technology company.
Useful Expressions
- Highly
motivated...
- Detail-oriented...
- Hard-working...
- Responsible...
- Passionate
about...
- Seeking
an opportunity...
- Eager to
contribute...
- Excellent
communication skills...
- Strong
analytical skills...
3. Work Experience
This section describes previous employment, internships,
volunteer work, or part-time jobs.
Arrange experiences in reverse chronological
order, starting with the most recent.
Format
Job Title
Company Name
Employment Period
Responsibilities and Achievements
Example
Digital Marketing Intern
PT ABC Jaya
June 2023 – December 2023
Responsibilities:
- Managed
social media accounts and increased engagement by 20%.
- Designed
promotional content for Instagram and Facebook.
- Assisted
in organizing online marketing campaigns.
- Prepared
weekly performance reports.
- Collaborated
with the marketing team on branding projects.
Another Example
English Tutor
Bright Learning Center
January 2022 – July 2023
Responsibilities:
- Taught
English to junior and senior high school students.
- Prepared
teaching materials and classroom activities.
- Evaluated
students' progress.
- Improved
students' speaking confidence through interactive learning.
Grammar Tip
Use Past Tense for completed jobs.
Examples:
- Taught
English classes.
- Managed
customer service.
- Designed
promotional materials.
- Organized
workshops.
Use Present Tense for your current
position.
Examples:
- Teach
English.
- Manage
social media accounts.
- Prepare
monthly reports.
- Coordinate
student activities.
4. Education
Include your educational background, beginning with the
most recent qualification.
Format
Degree
Institution
Graduation Year
Example
Bachelor of Education (English Education)
Universitas Al Asyariah Mandar
2025
Another Example
Bachelor of Computer Science
Universitas Hasanuddin
2024
Optional Information
You may also include:
- GPA
- Thesis
title
- Academic
awards
- Exchange
programs
5. Skills
This section highlights your professional and technical
abilities.
Examples include:
Technical Skills
- Microsoft
Office
- Google
Workspace
- Canva
- Adobe
Photoshop
- SPSS
- Python
Programming
- HTML
& CSS
Language Skills
- Indonesian
(Native)
- English
(Fluent)
- Arabic
(Intermediate)
Soft Skills
- Leadership
- Communication
- Teamwork
- Time
Management
- Critical
Thinking
- Problem
Solving
- Adaptability
Additional Sections (Optional)
A strong CV may also include:
Certifications
Examples:
- TOEFL
Certificate
- IELTS
Certificate
- Google
Data Analytics Certificate
- Microsoft
Office Specialist
- Cisco
Networking Academy
Organizational Experience
Example:
Secretary
English Student Association
2022–2023
Responsibilities:
- Organized
meetings.
- Prepared
official correspondence.
- Coordinated
student events.
Achievements
Examples:
- Best
Graduate Award
- Debate
Competition Winner
- Scientific
Writing Competition Finalist
- Scholarship
Recipient
Tips for Writing a Professional CV
- Keep
the layout clean and organized.
- Use
consistent fonts and formatting.
- Highlight
measurable achievements.
- Use
action verbs such as:
- Managed
- Developed
- Coordinated
- Designed
- Led
- Improved
- Created
- Assisted
- Proofread
carefully to avoid spelling and grammar mistakes.
- Tailor
your CV to the position you are applying for.
B. Cover Letter
What is a Cover Letter?
A Cover Letter is a formal letter sent
together with your CV. Its purpose is to introduce yourself, explain your
interest in the position, and persuade the employer that you are the right
candidate.
Unlike a CV, which lists facts, a Cover Letter tells the
story behind your qualifications.
Structure of a Cover Letter
1. Your Contact Information
Include:
- Name
- Address
- Phone
Number
- Email
- Date
2. Employer's Contact Information
Include:
- Hiring
Manager's Name (if known)
- Company
Name
- Company
Address
3. Salutation
Examples:
- Dear
Mr. Smith,
- Dear
Ms. Rahmawati,
- Dear
Dr. Hasan,
- Dear
Hiring Manager,
Use Dear Hiring Manager if you do not
know the recruiter's name.
4. Opening Paragraph
State:
- the
position you are applying for,
- where
you found the vacancy,
- your
interest in the company.
Example
I am writing to apply for the position of English
Teacher at Bright Future School, as advertised on your official website. I am
enthusiastic about the opportunity to contribute my teaching skills and passion
for education to your institution.
5. Body Paragraphs
Explain:
- educational
background,
- relevant
work experience,
- achievements,
- skills,
- reasons
you are suitable.
Example
During my teaching internship, I prepared lesson plans,
conducted classroom activities, and assessed students' learning outcomes. I
also developed interactive learning materials that increased students'
participation and motivation. These experiences strengthened my communication,
classroom management, and teamwork skills.
6. Closing Paragraph
Express appreciation and your willingness to attend an
interview.
Example
Thank you for considering my application. I would
appreciate the opportunity to discuss how my qualifications and experiences
align with your organization's needs. I look forward to hearing from you.
7. Complimentary Close
Common closings include:
- Sincerely,
- Best
regards,
- Respectfully,
Then write:
Your Signature (if printed)
Your Typed Name
Useful Vocabulary for Cover Letters
|
Expression |
Meaning |
|
I am writing to apply for... |
Saya menulis untuk melamar... |
|
I am interested in... |
Saya tertarik pada... |
|
I graduated from... |
Saya lulus dari... |
|
I have experience in... |
Saya memiliki pengalaman dalam... |
|
I am confident that... |
Saya yakin bahwa... |
|
I look forward to... |
Saya berharap... |
|
Thank you for your consideration. |
Terima kasih atas perhatian Anda. |
|
I would welcome the opportunity... |
Saya menyambut baik kesempatan... |
Common Mistakes
In a CV
❌ Using an unprofessional email address.
✔ Use a formal email address.
❌ Writing long paragraphs.
✔ Use concise bullet points.
❌ Including irrelevant personal information.
✔ Focus on qualifications related to the job.
In a Cover Letter
❌ Copying the same content from the CV.
✔ Expand on your experiences and explain why they matter.
❌ Using informal language.
Example:
❌ Hi!
✔ Dear Hiring Manager,
❌ Ending abruptly.
Always include a polite closing and thank the employer
for considering your application.
Practice Activities
Activity 1
Prepare your own CV in English using the following
sections:
- Personal
Details
- Professional
Summary
- Education
- Work
Experience (or Internship)
- Skills
- Certifications
(if any)
Activity 2
Write a Cover Letter (150–250 words) for one of the
following positions:
- English
Teacher
- Administrative
Staff
- Marketing
Officer
- Computer
Programmer
- Customer
Service Officer
Activity 3
Exchange your CV and Cover Letter with a classmate.
Review each other's work by checking:
- Grammar
- Spelling
- Organization
- Clarity
- Professional
tone
A successful job application begins with well-prepared documents. The Curriculum Vitae (CV) provides a concise overview of an applicant's education, work experience, skills, achievements, and qualifications, while the Cover Letter introduces the applicant personally and explains why they are an excellent fit for a particular position. Both documents should be written using clear, accurate, and professional English, with careful attention to grammar, formatting, and relevance. By mastering these writing skills, students will be better prepared for internships, scholarship applications, and employment opportunities in both national and international workplaces.
Sebuah
aplikasi pekerjaan dalam bahasa Inggris biasanya terdiri dari beberapa dokumen
utama. Berikut adalah bagian-bagiannya:
A. Curriculum Vitae (CV) / Resume
Ini
adalah ringkasan pengalaman, pendidikan, dan keterampilan Anda.
Bagian-bagian Penting dalam CV:
1.
Personal Details (Data Diri)
o Name (Nama)
o Address (Alamat)
o Phone Number (Nomor Telepon)
o Email Address (Alamat Email)
2.
Professional Summary / Objective (Ringkasan Profesional /
Tujuan)
o Sebuah paragraf
singkat yang menjelaskan siapa Anda dan tujuan karier Anda.
o Contoh: "A
motivated and detail-oriented marketing graduate with experience in digital
campaign management, seeking to leverage my skills as a Marketing Coordinator
at a dynamic company."
3.
Work Experience (Pengalaman Kerja)
o Tulis dalam urutan
terbalik (pengalaman terbaru di atas).
o Gunakan Past Tense untuk pekerjaan
yang sudah berakhir dan Present Tense untuk pekerjaan saat ini.
o Format: Job Title,
Company Name, Dates of Employment, Description of responsibilities.
o Contoh:
Digital
Marketing Intern | PT ABC Jaya | June 2023 - December 2023
§ Managed social media
accounts, resulting in a 20% increase in engagement.
§ Assisted in creating
content for email marketing campaigns.
4.
Education (Pendidikan)
o Format: Degree,
University Name, Graduation Year.
o Contoh: "S.Pd in
English Education - Universitas Negeri Malang, 2022"
5.
Skills (Keterampilan)
o Contoh: Microsoft
Office Suite, Fluent in English, Digital Marketing, Teamwork, Problem-Solving.
B. Cover Letter (Surat Lamaran)
Surat
yang menyertai CV Anda, menjelaskan mengapa Anda adalah kandidat yang tepat
untuk posisi tersebut.
Struktur Cover Letter:
1.
Your Contact Info & Date (Info Kontak
dan Tanggal)
2.
Employer's Contact Info (Info Kontak Perusahaan)
3.
Salutation (Salam Pembuka)
o Dear Mr. Smith, /
Dear Dr. Wahyuni,
o Jika tidak tahu
namanya: Dear Hiring Manager,
4.
Paragraph 1: Opening (Pembuka)
o Sebutkan posisi yang
dilamar dan dimana Anda melihat lowongan itu.
o Contoh Kalimat: "I am
writing to apply for the Sales Manager position at XYZ Company, as advertised
on LinkedIn."
5.
Paragraph 2 & 3: Body (Isi)
o Jelaskan mengapa Anda
cocok. Soroti pengalaman dan pencapaian Anda yang relevan.
o Contoh Kalimat: "In my
previous role at ABC Corp, I was responsible for... which resulted in..."
6.
Paragraph 4: Closing (Penutup)
o Ucapkan terima kasih
dan nyatakan ketertarikan Anda untuk wawancara.
o Contoh Kalimat: "Thank you
for considering my application. I look forward to the opportunity to discuss my
qualifications further in an interview."
7.
Complimentary Close (Salam Penutup)
o Sincerely, / Best
regards,
o Your Signature
o Your Typed Name
Part 2: Some Useful Expressions (Beberapa Ekspresi yang Berguna)
Berikut
adalah ungkapan-ungkapan yang bisa Anda gunakan dalam CV, Cover Letter, dan
wawancara kerja.
A. Untuk Mencapai Sesuatu (Achievements)
Gunakan
kata kerja aksi (action verbs) yang kuat.
·
Managed a team of 5 people. (Mengelola tim yang beranggotakan 5
orang.)
·
Increased sales by 15% within six months. (Meningkatkan
penjualan sebesar 15% dalam enam bulan.)
·
Developed a new system for tracking inventory. (Mengembangkan
sistem baru untuk melacak persediaan.)
·
Organized company events for over 100 attendees. (Mengorganisir
acara perusahaan untuk lebih dari 100 peserta.)
·
Resolved customer complaints effectively. (Menangani keluhan
pelanggan dengan efektif.)
B. Untuk Menjelaskan Keterampilan
(Describing Skills)
·
Proficient in Microsoft Excel. (Mahir dalam Microsoft Excel.)
·
Fluent in English, both written and spoken. (Fasih berbahasa
Inggris, lisan dan tulisan.)
·
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. (Keterampilan
komunikasi dan interpersonal yang sangat baik.)
·
Able to work independently or as part of a team. (Mampu bekerja
secara mandiri maupun dalam tim.)
·
Strong problem-solving abilities. (Kemampuan memecahkan
masalah yang kuat.)
C. Untuk Cover Letter
·
I am confident that my experience in... makes me a strong
candidate for this position. (Saya yakin pengalaman saya dalam... membuat saya menjadi
kandidat yang kuat untuk posisi ini.)
·
I was particularly drawn to this position because... (Saya sangat
tertarik dengan posisi ini karena...)
·
My background in [field] has prepared me to excel in this role. (Latar belakang
saya di [bidang] telah mempersiapkan saya untuk unggul dalam peran ini.)
·
I have attached my CV for your review. (Saya telah
melampirkan CV saya untuk Anda tinjau.)
·
I am available for an interview at your earliest convenience. (Saya siap
untuk wawancara pada waktu yang paling sesuai bagi Anda.)
Part 2: Some Useful Expressions (Beberapa Ekspresi yang Berguna untuk CV,
Cover Letter, dan Wawancara Kerja)
🎯 Learning Objectives
After completing this lesson, students will be able to:
- Understand
common professional expressions used in CVs, cover letters, and job
interviews.
- Use
strong action verbs to describe achievements and responsibilities.
- Describe
personal skills and qualifications using appropriate English.
- Write
more persuasive and professional employment documents.
- Express
confidence, motivation, and career goals during job interviews.
- Distinguish
between formal and informal language in professional communication.
Introduction
One of the biggest challenges for job applicants is not
only having good qualifications, but also communicating those
qualifications effectively. Two applicants may have similar
educational backgrounds and work experience, yet the one who presents their
abilities using clear, professional English is often viewed more favorably by
employers.
Professional expressions are commonly used in three
important stages of recruitment:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Cover Letter
- Job Interview
Each stage requires formal language, positive wording,
and action-oriented expressions. Employers generally prefer applicants who can
describe their achievements using specific examples rather than vague
statements.
For example, compare the following sentences:
❌ I helped my company.
✔ I coordinated a marketing campaign that increased
customer engagement by 25%.
The second sentence is stronger because it explains what
was done and what result was achieved.
This lesson introduces useful expressions that can make
employment documents and interview responses more professional and convincing.
A.
Talking About Achievements (Describing Accomplishments)
Why Are Achievements Important?
Employers are interested in what you have
accomplished, not only what your job title was. Therefore, instead of
simply listing duties, it is better to explain how your work created positive
results.
A useful strategy is to begin sentences with action
verbs.
Action verbs make your writing more dynamic and show
initiative, responsibility, and impact.
Common Action Verbs
Below are some frequently used action verbs in CVs and
résumés.
|
Action Verb |
Meaning |
|
Managed |
Mengelola |
|
Led |
Memimpin |
|
Organized |
Mengorganisasi |
|
Developed |
Mengembangkan |
|
Designed |
Merancang |
|
Created |
Menciptakan |
|
Coordinated |
Mengoordinasikan |
|
Improved |
Meningkatkan |
|
Increased |
Meningkatkan |
|
Reduced |
Mengurangi |
|
Assisted |
Membantu |
|
Supported |
Mendukung |
|
Trained |
Melatih |
|
Implemented |
Menerapkan |
|
Solved |
Menyelesaikan |
|
Analyzed |
Menganalisis |
|
Supervised |
Mengawasi |
|
Conducted |
Melaksanakan |
|
Evaluated |
Mengevaluasi |
|
Achieved |
Mencapai |
Examples of Achievement Statements
Leadership
- Managed
a team of five employees.
- Led a
student organization for two years.
- Supervised
daily office operations.
- Coordinated
volunteers during a community service program.
Sales and Marketing
- Increased
sales by 15% within six months.
- Developed
an online marketing strategy.
- Improved
customer engagement through social media campaigns.
- Designed
promotional materials for new products.
Education
- Prepared
interactive teaching materials.
- Improved
students' speaking skills through project-based learning.
- Organized
English competitions.
- Developed
classroom assessment instruments.
Administration
- Maintained
company records accurately.
- Organized
digital documents.
- Scheduled
meetings and appointments.
- Prepared
monthly financial reports.
Information Technology
- Developed
a website using HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.
- Designed
a database system.
- Installed
computer networks.
- Solved
technical problems efficiently.
Making Achievement Statements Stronger
Compare the following examples.
Weak statement:
Helped customers.
Better statement:
Assisted customers in resolving product-related issues
promptly.
Excellent statement:
Assisted more than 50 customers daily while maintaining
a customer satisfaction rate above 95%.
The third example is stronger because it includes
measurable results.
Whenever possible, include:
- numbers,
- percentages,
- time
periods,
- awards,
- achievements,
- improvements.
Examples:
- Increased
productivity by 20%.
- Trained
30 new employees.
- Managed
a budget of Rp150 million.
- Reduced
processing time by two days.
- Organized
seminars attended by more than 200 participants.
B. Describing Skills
Employers also want to know what you can do.
Professional skills generally fall into two categories:
- Hard
Skills
- Soft
Skills
Hard Skills
Hard skills are technical abilities learned through
education or training.
Examples include:
- Microsoft
Office
- Adobe
Photoshop
- Programming
- Data
Analysis
- Graphic
Design
- Accounting
- Public
Speaking
- Translation
- Web
Development
Useful expressions:
- Proficient
in Microsoft Excel.
- Skilled
in Adobe Illustrator.
- Experienced
in database management.
- Familiar
with SPSS.
- Certified
in Google Analytics.
Language Skills
Examples:
- Fluent
in English, both written and spoken.
- Intermediate
Japanese language skills.
- Native
speaker of Indonesian.
- Able to
translate English documents into Indonesian.
Soft Skills
Soft skills relate to personality and work habits.
Common examples include:
|
Skill |
Meaning |
|
Communication |
Komunikasi |
|
Leadership |
Kepemimpinan |
|
Teamwork |
Kerja sama |
|
Time Management |
Manajemen waktu |
|
Adaptability |
Kemampuan beradaptasi |
|
Creativity |
Kreativitas |
|
Critical Thinking |
Berpikir kritis |
|
Problem Solving |
Pemecahan masalah |
|
Responsibility |
Tanggung jawab |
|
Self-motivation |
Motivasi diri |
Useful expressions:
- Excellent
communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong
problem-solving abilities.
- Able
to work independently or as part of a team.
- Highly
organized and detail-oriented.
- Able
to work under pressure.
- Fast
learner with strong analytical skills.
- Highly
motivated and responsible.
Examples in a CV
Skills
- Fluent
in English and Indonesian.
- Proficient
in Microsoft Office and Google Workspace.
- Strong
organizational skills.
- Excellent
presentation skills.
- Able
to meet deadlines effectively.
- Strong
interpersonal communication.
C. Useful Expressions for Cover Letters
Unlike a CV, a cover letter allows applicants to explain
why they are interested in the position and why
they are suitable candidates.
The language used should be formal, polite, and
persuasive.
Opening Expressions
Examples:
- I am
writing to apply for the position of...
- I am
interested in applying for...
- I would
like to express my interest in...
- I
recently learned about your vacancy through...
- I was
excited to discover this opportunity.
Explaining Interest
Examples:
- I was
particularly drawn to this position because it aligns with my career goals.
- Your
company's commitment to innovation inspired me to apply.
- I
admire your organization's excellent reputation.
- I am
passionate about contributing to your team.
Explaining Qualifications
Examples:
- My
academic background has prepared me well for this role.
- My
experience in customer service strengthened my communication skills.
- I
believe my qualifications match the requirements of this position.
- My
previous internship allowed me to develop practical workplace skills.
Expressing Confidence
Examples:
- I am
confident that my experience makes me a strong candidate.
- I
believe I can make a valuable contribution to your company.
- I am
eager to apply my knowledge and skills.
- I would
welcome the opportunity to contribute to your organization.
Closing Expressions
Examples:
- Thank
you for considering my application.
- I have
attached my CV for your review.
- I
would appreciate the opportunity to discuss my qualifications in an
interview.
- I am
available for an interview at your earliest convenience.
- I look
forward to hearing from you.
Expressions for Job Interviews
The same professional language is useful during interviews.
Talking About Yourself
- I
recently graduated from...
- I have
experience in...
- I
enjoy working with people.
- I am
eager to learn new skills.
- I
adapt quickly to new environments.
Talking About Strengths
- I am a
responsible person.
- I work
well under pressure.
- I
enjoy solving problems.
- I
communicate effectively with colleagues.
- I am
highly motivated.
Talking About Weaknesses
Employers appreciate honest but constructive answers.
Examples:
- Sometimes
I spend too much time perfecting my work, but I have learned to manage my
time more effectively.
- I used
to be nervous when speaking in public, but I have improved through
presentations and seminars.
Talking About Career Goals
Examples:
- I hope
to develop my professional skills.
- I want
to build a long-term career.
- I would
like to contribute to the company's success.
- I hope
to become a team leader in the future.
Useful Professional Vocabulary
|
English |
Indonesian |
|
Achievement |
Prestasi |
|
Responsibility |
Tanggung jawab |
|
Qualification |
Kualifikasi |
|
Experience |
Pengalaman |
|
Internship |
Magang |
|
Deadline |
Tenggat waktu |
|
Leadership |
Kepemimpinan |
|
Collaboration |
Kolaborasi |
|
Innovation |
Inovasi |
|
Productivity |
Produktivitas |
|
Performance |
Kinerja |
|
Employer |
Pemberi kerja |
|
Employee |
Karyawan |
|
Applicant |
Pelamar |
|
Recruitment |
Rekrutmen |
Common Mistakes
Too General
❌ I am good at computers.
✔ Proficient in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and database
management.
Weak Vocabulary
❌ I did many things.
✔ Coordinated administrative activities and prepared weekly
reports.
Informal Language
❌ I really want this job because it is cool.
✔ I am highly interested in this position because it aligns
with my professional goals.
Unsupported Claims
❌ I am the best employee.
✔ Received the "Best Employee Award" for
outstanding customer service in 2023.
Practice Activities
Activity 1
Replace the weak verbs with stronger action verbs.
Example:
I did a project.
→ I managed a project.
- I did
customer service.
- I
helped organize a seminar.
- I made
a website.
- I
worked with a team.
- I fixed
computer problems.
Activity 2
Write five achievement statements using action verbs and
measurable results where possible.
Example:
Developed an online registration system that reduced
processing time by 30%.
Activity 3
Write five sentences describing your skills.
Use expressions such as:
- Proficient
in...
- Fluent
in...
- Experienced
in...
- Strong...
- Able
to...
Activity 4
Complete the following cover letter expressions.
- I am
writing to apply for ____________________.
- I am
confident that ____________________.
- My
experience in ____________________.
- I have
attached ____________________.
- Thank
you for ____________________.
Professional expressions play a vital role in creating effective employment
documents and succeeding in job interviews. Using strong action verbs
such as managed, developed, coordinated, and implemented
helps applicants present their achievements clearly and persuasively. Likewise,
describing technical and interpersonal skills with precise language allows
employers to understand an applicant's qualifications more accurately. In cover
letters, formal expressions that communicate motivation, confidence, and
professionalism strengthen the overall application. Mastering these expressions
not only improves the quality of CVs and cover letters but also increases
confidence when communicating during interviews and other professional
interactions.
Contoh Sederhana: Kalimat dalam Cover Letter
Dear Hiring Manager at
Global Tech,
I am writing to apply for the Graphic Designer position that I saw on
your company's website. As a graduate with a degree in Design and experience
using Adobe Creative Suite, I am confident that I possess the skills necessary to succeed in
this role.
In my final university project, I managed the entire design process for a branding
campaign, which received positive feedback from professors
and peers. I am a creative and detail-oriented individual who thrives in a collaborative
environment.
Thank you for your time and
consideration. I have attached my resume and portfolio for your review
and look forward to hearing from you soon.
Sincerely,
[Tanda Tangan]
Budi
Pratama
Let's Practice! (Ayo Berlatih!)
A. Terjemahkan kalimat berikut ke dalam bahasa Inggris:
1.
Saya mahir dalam bahasa Inggris dan Python.
2.
Saya mencari posisi yang menantang di bidang pemasaran digital.
3.
Saya melampirkan CV saya untuk Anda tinjau.
B. Isi titik-titik dengan ungkapan yang tepat:
1.
In my previous role, I was responsible for _______ (mengelola)
social media accounts.
2.
I successfully _______ (meningkatkan) website traffic by 30%.
3.
I am a _______ (orang yang termotivasi) and a fast learner.
Jawaban:
A: 1. I am
proficient in English and Python. | 2. I am seeking a challenging position in
the digital marketing field. | 3. I have attached my CV for your review.
B: 1. managing |
2. increased | 3. motivated individual
Semoga
Lesson 12 ini membuka peluang baru untuk karier Anda! Good luck with your job
application! (Semoga sukses dengan lamaran pekerjaannya!)
Jangan
lupa kunjungi blog "Belajar Bahasa Inggris" untuk pelajaran
lainnya

No comments:
Post a Comment